Friday, October 2, 2009

Designing Leaders and not just Managers

Quite often when I interact with an individual in a leadership role, I am tempted to point out –‘Hey, this is not leading, this is managing …’ and every time I have to control my temptation. As an executive coach, my role is to help the person explore and discover insights and not spoon feed him/her.

An article in HBR says, “Most corporations today are over managed and under-led.”I completely agree with this and am sure you would also agree.

I feel organizations today need to develop their capacity to exercise leadership. Successful companies don't wait for leaders to come along… They actively seek out people with leadership potential and expose them to career experiences designed to develop that potential. They choose their leaders by Design and not by Chance.

Careful selection, nurturing, encouragement supported by personal growth engagements like Executive Coaching / Leadership Coaching will help bright and committed executives play important leadership roles in today's complex business environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment